LGA Recommended Checklist
It is important to note any unusual occurrences regarding Lake Environment Issues by making a log. When making a log of occurrences or preparing to report issues, please make a record of the location such as north or south shore of which creek or cove or by a map location or GPS coordinates.
Note Occurrences such as:
- Runoff from a construction area causing siltation
- Appearance of foam like substances
- Concentrations of trash, Waste/sewer leakage, or Odiferous water or drainage
- Numerous floating/dead fish or birds
- Floating or submerged debris (from fallen trees or near water construction)
- Boats, water toys or other recreation items that are adrift
- Buoys not operating properly or out of position
Items 1, 2, and 3 above - Please report to all of the following:
- Dominion Power – Nancy Hux at (252) 535-6899
- North Carolina - NC Dept of Water Quality (919) 791-4200 - Weekends & Emergencies call (800) 858-0368
- Virginia - Brunswick Co: Department of Environmental Quality (804) 527-5042 or 527-5173 Mecklenburg Co: Department of Environmental Quality (434) 582-6233 / 6236
Items 4 and 5 above - Please report to all of the following:
- North Carolina – (800) 662-7137
- Virginia – (800) 662-7137
Items 6 above - Please report to the following:
- If an item has a registry number – record and contact appropriate Wildlife or Game Dept.
Items 7 above - Please report to all of the following:
- Danger/Hazard Buoys in North Carolina call 1-919-707-0150
- Danger/Hazard Buoys in Brunswick County, VA call 1-434-636-2025
- Danger/Hazard Buoys in Mecklenburg County, VA call the County Administrator 1-434-738-6191
Other Items of Concern:
- Abundance of Noxious plants: – Please note any new patterns or abundance of noxious plants or native plants.
- Triploid Carp: – Please note any activity / presence by triploid carp.
- Plant / Carp Patterns: – Please provide collected information regarding plant patterns or carp on a monthly basis to the County captain.
- What To Look For: – If you observe specific violations of safe boating rules or criminal activity contact the nearest law enforcement or wildlife enforcement office.
- Who To Contact: – Emergency Medical Services or Fire Emergencies call 911 and explain where you are.
- Virginia Sheriff Departments: Brunswick - (434) 848-3133 or (800) 8484-3199; Mecklenburg - (434) 738-6171.
- North Carolina Sherriff Departments: Halifax - (252) 583-8521; Northampton - (252) 534-2611; Warren - (252) 257-3364